Stoke-on-Tern, St Peter
6 bells, tenor 8cwt in B Ground floor TF9 2EZ SJ 638280
Sunday: By arrangement, check with incumbent
Bells 2 - 6 were cast by Thomas Mears II at the Whitechapel Bell Foundry in London in 1819 and were transferred from the earlier church. The treble was cast by Mears and Stainbank at the same foundry in 1874 when the present church was built. The bells all have their canons and hang from wooden headstocks in plain bearings in a wooden frame. (Pickford 6.9: A1, B2, C3, D4, E5, F6). There is an uninscribed sanctus bell hanging in a stone cot on the east gable of the nave.
The ringing room is reached via a spiral staircase from the kitchen in the base of the tower.
There is a small parking area at the churchyard gate. The church is isolated and no facilities are available nearby.
The Tenor bell
Details of the straps holding
the second bell to its headstock
The date of the back five bells
The founder of the back five bells