Stockton, St Chad
6 bells, tenor 13-0-20 in ESJ 729997
Sunday: by arrangement - check with tower correspondent
None of the bells has cannons and all hang from metal headstocks on ball bearings in an 'H' frame with metal beams and braces.
The Treble, second and third were recast by John Taylor & Co of Loughborough in 1909. The fourth was cast by Thomas Mears in 1812, the fifth by William Clibury of Wellington in 1634, and the Tenor in 1651 by an unknown founder, probably Thomas Clibury II.
Access to the ringing room is via an external door at the north-east corner of the tower. The stairs are very narrow and steep. The church is isolated with no facilities in the vicinity. Parking is available at the east end of the church.
The Tenor bell
Lettering on the Tenor bell
The date on the Tenor bell
The fifth bell
The date on the fifth bell
Decoration on the fifth bell
The foundry stamp of John Taylor & Co
on the front three bells
Lettering on the fifth bell
The date on the three trebles
The founder's name on the fourth bell
The original founder of the third bell
The 1782 ringers' rules in the ringing room