Shrewsbury, Abbey of the Holy Cross

Shrewsbury Abbey

8 bells, Tenor 23-0-0 (approx) in EbSJ 498125

Treble and 2nd - Thomas Mears II of London, 1825

3rd - John Taylor & Co of Loughborough, 1884

4th - John Briant of Hertford, 1812

5th - Charles and George Mears of London, 1846

6th - Abel Rudhall of Gloucester 1745

7th - John Warner & Sons of London, 1877

Tenor - Abraham Rudhall of Gloucester, 1713

At the Dissolution, the Abbey had two rings of five bells, one in the current tower and one in a central tower. In 1673 a ring of eight was cast by George Oldfield of Nottingham and these were replaced over time by the present bells. Five peals were rung at the Abbey between 1736 and 1786. The bells were rung full-circle until at least 1895 but in 1909 concern over the safety of the tower led to the bells being removed and rehung without wheels in a new frame. They are currently sounded by an Ellacombe apparatus.

Shrewsbury Abbey frame

The south side of the frame

Shrewsbury Abbey frame

Looking west, with (from left) bells 4, 6, 7, 8, 5, 2

Shrewsbury Abbey plan

Plan for the new frame by Greenleaf & Tristram

Shrewsbury Abbey 4th

The John Briant 4th

Shrewsbury Abbey tenor fittings

The Tenor fittings

Shrewsbury Abbey Victoria

Profile of Queen Victoria on the 7th

Shrewsbury Abbey founder mark
Shrewsbury Abbey founder mark