Selattyn, St Mary
5 bells, tenor 5-2-3 in C# SY10 7DW SJ 266340
Sunday: no regular ringing
All the bells were cast by Charles Carr of Smethwick in 1897 and hang from wooden headstocks, all except the tenor have plain bearings. The layout of the frame is Pickford 6.5: C empty, D1, E2, F3, A4, B5. Pits A, B and F form a traditional timber frame while pits C, D and E were added by Charles Carr and have his typical composite construction.
They had gained the reputation of being unringable but, in 2016, tightening nuts and bolts to the frame, headstocks, gudgeons, etc. revealed that things were not as bad as thought. The clappers were re-bushed and new ground pulleys fitted in 2018. Whilst they remain difficult, they are rung occasionally by ringers from nearby towers and other visitors from further afield.
St Mary's is Grade 1 listed and warrants a visit by anyone interested in church architecture.
The tenor bell
The tenor headstock
Charles Carr frameside and corner post
Carr's plate on the Ellacombe apparatus
Inscription on the tenor bell