Forton, All Saints
6 bells, tenor 12cwt in G TF10 8BY SJ 755212
Sunday: No regular ringing
The Treble, second and fifth were cast by Joseph Smith of Edgbaston in 1729. The third, fourth and Tenor were recast by John Warner & Sons of London in 1859. The inscriptions from the 1729 bells they replaced are reproduced on their waists. The bells all retain their cannons, have wooden headstocks and ball bearings, and hang in a wooden frame (Pickford 6.1: A1, B2, C3, D4, E5, F6)
The ringing room is in the base of tower, five steps up from the back of the nave. The church is isolated from the village and there are some attractive views from the churchyard. Forton is in Staffordshire but comes in the archdeaconry of Salop as it is in the Newport Team Ministry.
The date on the Joseph Smith bells
The date on the Warner & Sons' bells
Detail from the inscription band on the Treble,
with a complete decorative band below
The Second bell
The Tenor bell
Warner and Sons' Royal Warrant as 'Bell and Brass
Founders to Her Majesty Queen Victoria'
The founder of the third, fourth and Tenor, (above)
and his angular cannons (right)